Saturday, August 11, 2007

Ramble from Kali

Good news! Someone answered E's call to ramble.
I've been trying to hire a part time nanny to help in the afternoon while my child's current nanny goes to afternoon classes this fall so I can remain employed. A lot of people responded to my ad. I tried to e-mail or contact the seemingly qualified applicants to learn more about them and see if the hours and responsibilities worked for their schedule. Plus I don't want to waste my time setting up an interview with someone I'd never hire.

I am amazed at the number of college age people who set up an appointment to meet my family & do not show or even call or e-mail to cancel. Planning for several interviews on a week night is not possible so I am out an evening and another day closer to my deadline. It is very irksome.

I am also amazed at the the resumes people send out. They don't use spell check, which is sloppy and often spell "attention to detail" incorrectly by transposing a letter. Or they include information that is way too revealing if they actually want a job. One applicant told the reasons way she left each of previous jobs calling a former retail employer and staff greedy and backstabbing. Listing another as boring beyond belief.

Sometimes when I call & listen to someone's voicemail, I decide it is likely a bad fit. Having to listen to 30 seconds of "If everyone cared & nobody lied.... before getting to the person's message is not earning any points in my patience department. Can you imagine hiring this person and having to listen to part of that song every time you called before you could even leave a message. At least when I was that age and had to add music to my answering machine I made it softer and talked over it (I think). Crap, maybe it is a rite of passage. I'm sure my dad bitched about it, but beyond that I don't recall.

I'm afraid to even go to myspace and see if any of them have a page there. Contemplating what might be on it scares me.

I did have an applicant call me to say she was stuck on a bridge a 1/2 hour before our appointment to tell me she would be late. She had actual manners and thought ahead. Unfortunately she wasn't a good fit for us. It figures.

Today I had a temp come to my office for the first time & go home sick with cramps after less than 2 hours of work. Why she didn't call in sick to the agency or at least given them a heads up to plan for a back up, if she felt nauseous and unable to work? The temp agency called me to apologize and would try to find a replacement for today and tmw. They found one for tmw and then proceeded to tell me about other problem temps they've had. I can't believe they tell me this stuff. Should I care that they've made some poor employment decisions? I need to get off the phone and do more more work since this person left early and now I feel less confident that the replacement will do a good job. Tommorow is Friday if they don't do a good job, can you guess who will be here this weekend?

Ciao I'm heading out for lunch.

Kali


Since I've never had to interview for a babysitter, let alone a nanny, I'd hesitate to give any advice to Kali. If you've got some suggestions or just want to commiserate, give her a holler and be sure to thank her for rambling.

Tamara

No comments: