Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Just Say Neigh

I'm a couple of days late, I know - but to all our Chinese, or of Chinese ancestry, readers - xin nian kuai le and gong xi fa cai (or gong hei fat choi, depending on your dialect).

Today is Shrove Tuesday. That's right - it's Pancake Day!! And as usual I ate too many, and, since they're richer than my normal fare, I now feel distinctly queasy. But oh, they were nice.

Yes, British people can eat pancakes on other days of the year, and many do, but I'm a traditional sort so I don't. Not that my pancakes follow tradition too strictly. Yes, they are still thin. Yes, I do have them with sugar and lemon. Yes, they are rolled up. But they're made with soya milk and egg-replacement powder, not milk and eggs. Good little vegan that I am.

Naturally as a vegan I've been laughing at the histrionics the British press have been indulging in of late. Ok I can see that there can be problems when food is not as described, and if some things that shouldn't be in it are in it, then who's to say more serious adulterations won't/haven't taken place. But really?? All this screaming because a bit of horse-meat was found in burgers and ready-meals?? Horse-meat is eaten quite safely right across Europe. What is the problem??

I have never understood why it is ok to eat cow, sheep, pig, or rabbit here in the UK, but horse?? Oh my word, the horror!! (And a great many Brits won't touch goat or squirrel either.) Meat's meat folks. If you're going to eat meat why be fussy like that.

It's created some great jokes and funny photoshopped pics though.

Ze

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah the old vegetarian / vegan high road. Nothing like it.

zero2aries said...

So did you actually have a point?? Or were you just one short on your snide comments quota for the day??

E said...

They can do that when anonymous, that would be the high road of easy.