Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Flags

Didn't have our usual Whitsun bank holiday this week - because of the Diamond Jubilee it's been moved to next week, and we have an extra day added so both Monday and Tuesday of next week are holidays. Great - two days without pay...

Our street is not celebrating. We are not having a street party. Nobody is flying the Union Flag (flag - not Union Jack - it's only a jack if it's on a ship). We're not really monarchists round here.

I did buy a Union Flag last week though. I always put an English flag in my window whenever the national football or rugby teams are playing. (The Union Flag is exactly what it says - the flag of the union - the United Kingdom. It is not the flag of England.) And with the Olympics coming here, I wanted to put one up to show support for the British team. I found that I own five English flags. One with the three lions of the football team's badge in the centre of the cross. One with the Lancastrian rose of the rugby union team in the centre. One with the shield (with the extra cross and date) of the rugby league team. And two with just the cross of St. George.

But not one single Union Flag. I did not own a flag of the United Kingdom. Not one. How appalling. But then, most Scots don't either, they own a Saltire. And I expect most Welsh folk don't but I bet they own Y Ddraig Goch. Chances are that in Northern Ireland protestants own a Union Flag, along with a Red Hand flag. But the republican community aren't likely to. They're much more likely to own an Irish Tricolour.

I really wish I hadn't left it until now to buy one though. Because the price has trebled lately. I could have bought three Stars-and-Stripes for the price of one Union Flag. Or five Ugandan flags!! Though why on earth the little shop here in my town in south-west England stocks Ugandan flags is anybody's guess. We don't exactly have a huge Ugandan population. Polish now... yeah... but no Polish flags, sold out I expect, we have a large Polish community.

But anyway, I now have my flag. And in just 58 days it will hang in my window. I can't wait. *bounces*

Ze

No comments: