Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Boom

I wasn't sure I'd be able to update tonight. Didn't know if we'd have the electricity back on or not. As you can see we have and I can.

Been without power all day though. It started in the wee small hours. At about 1.30am. There was an almighty great bang, woke me up, and my first thought was, "Christ, someone's hit the house." We're on the corner, next to the car-park, and cars park within centimetres of the side of the house. Then I decided it wasn't loud enough for that - and the house wasn't falling down - so my next guess was that the fence had blown over. (Several folk around here have lost fences recently in the gales). Looked out of the window, fence intact, wall intact, no sign of anything. So I decided that my cousin's cats must have knocked a chair over or something, and I went back to sleep.

At 5.30am I got up. There was no coffee. I could have sworn I set the timer last night. I put the kettle on to make a cafetiere instead. Or at least I tried. Nothing happened. No light in the fridge either. No hot water. I checked the fuse-box. Nope, no problems there. I put some trousers on (I hadn't dressed yet as I hadn't showered) and went to check with the neighbours. They didn't have power either. The woman across the road came outside to tell us she'd rung the electricity company and they were here, working already. They informed us that the bang in the night had been our sub-station generator exploding. They were working as fast as they could to fix it, a new generator was on the way, but it would be evening at the earliest before power was back.

Great. Couldn't shower (that's electric too). No hot water (boiler's gas but ignition is electronic, not pilot-light). No microwave, so no porridge. No toaster. At least the hob is gas, and we had matches (electronic ignition once again), so we could boil a saucepan of water for coffee.

I was not a happy bunny though, off to work, unwashed, with no breakfast. Put me off my stride for the rest of the day.

I was very glad to get home at six and find the power back. I could have my shower, And coffee. And watch the women's football on the telly. And most important - surf on my 'puter. It's amazing how many things you take for granted - until something small disrupts them. Am now seriously considering forking out vast sums of money for solar panels... I want to be prepared next time something goes boom in the night.

See you next week folks. Goodnight and may your God/s go with you

Ze

No comments: