Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Books, Rain, and Decisions.

I didn't think I was going to have much in the way of updates for you tonight - and then the RAOB updated and doubled my numbers. That was a bit of luck. I was starting to search a whole bunch of websites I never report on - mainly because they're either FF dot net type, and they're a right pita to check through, and can take hours to find even one story. Or they're largely filled with enthusiastic-but-somewhat-less-than competent output, and it's a hell of a job finding something literate, let alone worth reading. Fortunately I was able to spare you the torture.

It's been raining most of the time since I was last here. It's a bloody nuisance when it rains so much. I know we need the rain, the water table is drastically reduced, but if the rain is really bad (and it has been) and I'm working outdoors then I simply don't work. And that means I don't get paid. And that severely curtails my book-buying. And then I am not happy. OK - I have several thousand books already, and I do like to re-read books. In some cases I might read the same book 3 or 4 (or more if it's a particular favourite) times a year. But I like new books too. And there's a lot more of interest being published these days. Once I could own every book in my favoured genres. Not now. Now I need to win the lottery to afford that.

It's not all bad at work, though. We've completed the first phase of preparation and begun the first wave of construction. In fact we've built our first row of houses for the new town. Now we just have to decorate (and built the other 3,000 of course *g*). This means I will be working at my trade - and indoors - for a bit. So come June I can buy more books... (this is me grinning like a fool now). Hmm... what to buy... another Robbi McCoy?? (I read For Me & My Gal - it's excellent.) There's a Lynn Ames I haven't bought yet (bad fan - should have bought it months ago). And I'm still missing one of Georgia Beers' titles... I want a copy of Plutarch's Lives too... decisions, decisions

Ze

No comments: