Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Clothes Shopping Sucks

Can't think of much to say tonight. Perhaps just a quick note about the perils of shopping in a hurry.

I hate shopping. Especially for clothes. I'm the kind of shopper who, on finding something I like and which fits, will quickly grab four identical-but-for-colour of that particular garment, run for the till, pay, and get the hell out asap. This works well - mostly.

I needed a new pair of jeans last week. Just a basic pair. Nothing fancy. And I refuse to pay silly prices for jeans. This means I need somewhere cheap. Unfortunately Jean Genie is no more, (I swear it wasn't my fault even though I did cause havoc there a couple of years ago). Primark has gone bust (not that I'd shop there anyway, they had a reputation for using child/sweatshop labour). That pretty much left QS. I've never been there before.

I went on Thursday.

Jeans were right at the back. Three lots of shelving. (Dark blue, light blue, black.) Each shelf a different waist size. Three compartments per shelf. Each compartment a different style. (Straight leg, "comfort-fit", and boot-cut.) Each pair marked with a very large sticker giving waist and inside-leg measurements. At eye-level there was a pair of light blue, comfort-fit, 30-waist, 32-leg. Perfect. My size. I grabbed them and headed for the till. The assistant asked if I wanted to try them on. I didn't. I hate trying on clothes. I got them home. Ripped all the labels off and hung them over a chair.

On Sunday I put them on.

Waist 30 all right - but if that's a 32 leg then I've shrunk a hell of a lot since the last time I bought jeans.

I took them off, got my steel tape out and measured them. Leg 36. Great. I fished all the labels back out of the waste-paper bin, managed to find the receipt in there too. Now I just have to find the time to trek back into town and change them.

I should at least have unfolded them and held them up against me!! Pah!!

Quick note:-

There are still spaces available on the Dog Days of Summer Calendar if you feel like signing-up and writing something for it.

Ze

No comments: