Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Ba-ba-ba-ba-Barbara Ann

Tomorrow is the solstice - Good Yule/Litha to our Wiccan and Pagan readers.

The rest of the schools broke up today. Most of them broke up last Friday but there were a few still open until today. Haven't been bothered by kids though. The site is too dangerous to leave open now, so it's well fenced off. Plus the fields leading to it are too muddy. Heavy plant churns the mud up something chronic. In fact we haven't seen the kids at all. We arrive too early (just about daybreak) and leave too late (just after sunset) so they're not around.

I did see young Barbie - sorry Barbara - yesterday. I was late getting to work because of my check-up and she was hanging over her garden gate, swinging to & fro, looking bored. (I have to pass their cottage on my way from the bus-stop). I stopped to say hello. Her mother popped her head out when she heard voices. "Oh, it's you," she said. "Barbie's been hoping to see you. Would you like a mince-pie??"

Would I like a mince-pie?? Too bloody right I would!!

Barbara ran in and brought me one, on a little paper plate. And she brought me a Christmas card she hand-made at school. It said "Happy Christmas building lady". (She spelt building wrong but the intent was plain). I was right choked. So choked in fact that I hugged the little sprite. Voluntarily!! (People who know me know that I do not hug. Ever.)

Today I called in after work. I took a card for Barbara (carefully made out to "Barbara"), a card for her mother (fortunately I found out in time that she's widowed - before including a husband in the greeting!!), and a small stocking-filler type present. (I checked before-hand that it was ok with her mother). She was dead chuffed. Hugged me again.

No - this does not mean I'm becoming soft. Or nice. I'm still evil. Honest.

Merry Christmas.

Goodnight and may your God/s go with you.

Ze

2 comments:

Tamara said...

Evil...yeah, right. Softie.

zero2aries said...

A. Am. Not. A. Softie!!

I am a mean, hard, evil person.

Do I have to go and kick some baby bunnies to prove it??