Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Gales and Conkers

Summer is definitely over, (although it isn't officially autumn for another ten days), the house martins have finally followed the swifts and the swallows and left for Africa. They're always first to arrive and last to leave.

The tail-end of hurricane Katia arrived. Of course by the time it reached us it was no longer a hurricane - just a rather nasty gale. It did a quite a bit of damage in Scotland and the north of England but wasn't too bad down here.

When the gales hit here we were immediately ordered down from the scaffolding. Even though I don't have a problem with heights I was rather glad I was at ground level at the time. The two lads who were on the scaffolding were more than a trifle shaken and looked rather pale and extremely relieved to be down.

I don't think I've seen scaffolding rock like that since the (real) hurricane of 1987.

The high winds brought a hell of a lot of conkers down too. And since we couldn't work this afternoon - well - no prizes for guessing how we spent the time.

My conker was a sixer before it finally broke.

But boy do my knuckles hurt. I'd forgotten just have painful a crack on the hand from a flying conker can be.

Ze

No comments: