Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Bits & Bobs & Dinner

It's been a rather eventful week for some. We got that damn' wedding out of the way at last. Boy were the papers full of it. Forty pages of a fifty-page tabloid. How the hell cam anybody find that much to say about it?? Trying to find any real news, in the papers or on the news channels, was next-to-impossible.

And news there was a-plenty. Devastating weather across the southern USA, postponed shuttle launches, and the announcement of the death of Osama Bin Laden.

Further to the tornadoes in the USA - there's a livejournal fanfic fund-raiser community set up Help the South.

My cousin went out for dinner this evening and consequently I was left to my own devices as far as a meal for myself was concerned. I contemplated cooking something - unsupervised!! I looked at all the food in the fridge. I looked at all the food, ingredients, herbs and spices, in the cupboards. I eyed the cooker with no little trepidation. I stood in the kitchen doorway and pondered a while. I checked on the location of all our fire-extinguishers.

Then I walked down the hill to the chippy and bought myself a chip supper!! It seemed safer.

Of course it wasn't a proper chip supper - that would have required fish, and I don't eat fish. But it was a large portion of chips, and a portion of mushy peas (I think they're unique to the UK). Nicely sprinkled with salt and malt vinegar. And when I got them home I added HP Sauce, too.

Unbelievably unhealthy. But very tasty. *g*

Ze

2 comments:

Tamara said...

HP Sauce? Hot Pepper sauce maybe?

zero2aries said...

Nope.

HP is a brand name - originally of a small UK company who then became the large HP Foods - now owned by Heinz.

HP sauce is *the* brown sauce.

HP website www.heinz.co.uk/Sauce-Partners/hp-sauce/

It's one of those really, really well-known brands here in the UK - to the extent that (like "hoover" or "kleenex") it's used as a description. You don't ask "do you have brown sauce" you ask "do you have HP". What you get given might be genuine HP, it might be Daddies' sauce (the closest rival - but very much the smaller brand) or it might be a supermarket own brand.

Nothing is quite like it though - quality tells.

Wiki entry for HP foods - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Foods

and for HP Sauce - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Sauce