Thursday, November 04, 2010

Ramble Night!

Yippee...a ramble! Take it away, UK.
I would like to thank you ladies of the Uber Etc. for your amazing dedication in bringing us the news from the world of on-line fiction – I thought I might pay up with a guest ramble. I hope that some of your other fans might do so as well ? We'll see. Let's ramble!

Do you ever wonder if you are alone out there? Don't worry I'm not thinking the great void, the Galaxy or any other Sci-Fic kind of place. I'm just thinking the close neighbourhood of the World Wide Web!

Do you ever wonder if you are the only one following the rambles on your favourite site? If the site displays a site counter you can follow the number of visits to the site. In that case you probably know that you are not alone! Between the blogger, the automatic search engines and yourself there is only so many site visits that the "three" of you can generate – the rest are the viewings by ... well I don't know who... do you ever wonder who "they" are ?

"They" could be your neighbour, a mate of yours from school or a friend from work, but they might just as well be someone from a place on the other side of the earth at least if you view a site in an – lets say – international language like English.

The www is funny in the way that you can share your interests with someone whom you'll never meet, someone whom you never know was there with you, reading what you read, laughing out laud at the same jokes that you did, and pondering the same thoughts as you – close by but still far away.

If you are a site administrator of a blog you can get a couple of steps closer to the readers that share your interests, not as close as in knowing "who" they are, but still you can get just a little peek at who has been reading your rambles.

At Fan Fiction Reviews we have readers from all over Europe, from USA, Canada, Australia, Brazil and unlikely places like Taiwan and South Korea the readers arrive by way of links from other web-sites like the one you can find at Uber ect. at the The Grunts' Checklist [http://ue.uberetc.com/links.shtml] or by way of a keyword search on the title of an on-line story or the pen name of a writer.

Through the stats offered by the Google Blogger you can even get a peek at the more geekish stuff like what browser, OS or device the readers use to access the site. If you are just slightly geekish you might find it interesting that the browser Firefox is just bit more popular with the readers of Fan Fiction Reviews than the IE, that the Mac OS is still way behind among the readers and that some even use a Playstation 3 to browse for fan fiction material – I would never have guessed!

I guess that this kind of info doesn't really bring us any closer. We can all still wonder who we share our interests with, and I guess that with the www this is how it's always going to be. We share an interest, we view the same sites, we laugh at or ponder the same things, but even if we might be close in physical distance, we still do it from afar, separated by the anonymity of the www.

UK

I love this ramble. It's so true and yet, for me, I stepped out of that box and found reality from within.

I met Ze who visited from the other side of the planet. I met a friend who was in Texas who now lives in Wales with her partner she met online.

And I have another good friend who lives in the Midwest and I look forward to meeting up with on vacation next year. And I have many more folks that I consider friends that I may not have met in person, but feel like I know well enough.

And, of course, I live with Tamara who actually packed and moved the family from Oklahoma to Seattle ...seemed like a lot to do just for me, but I'm damn glad she did. So as for this online world, it rocks! Thanks to you all and please do come ramble and tell us your story!

Now back to your updates...enjoy.

Peace, Health and Happiness.

Elisa

No comments: