Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I Haz a Happy...

Post title misspelt in keeping with yesterday's macro. *g*

I knew if I was a good little roofer's mate, punctual, hard-working, polite, didn't complain about working in the wind and the rain, and chatted nicely to people that good things would come of it.

One of the people I chatted to - and talked about my actual trade - was the Building Services Manager. Today he came & had a word with me.

They have some budget to use up. Re-decorating budget. It's been allocated to re-painting the windows. (Weather permitting). Leaving aside the idiocy of painting outside windows at this time of year - when it's dodgy that it won't rain or that the temps will stay above 5c - you can't use gloss under 5c. There are over five hundred windows in the building. All old-fashioned metal casement type. They all need rubbing down, priming, undercoating and then glossing.

The Buildings Manager said he wanted to hire one Master Craftsman, two time-served painters (journeymen) and two brush-hands (unqualified painters who do the basics but not the finishing work). He also said he was impressed with my dedication and work ethic (hah - little does he know how lazy I am!!) and he wanted to offer me the contract as Master Craftsman.

Fan-bloody-tastic!! I gave him the names of a couple of lads I've worked with who are decent brush-hands and recommended a bloke and a lass I know who are pretty good time-served painters and he said he'd speak to them. Which he did.

So next Monday I start several weeks of work. Lasting until the New Year at least - probably well into January. And at my proper trade.

Boy do I haz a happy!!

On another note - tomorrow is Thanksgiving in the USA. I won't go through all the links I posted last year. I'll just say - Happy Native American Heritage Day for Friday. And Happy Thanksgiving for tomorrow.

Good night and may your God/s go with you



Ze

No comments: