Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Let's Go Fly a Kite...

Got a few days off work now. A couple of friends from the USA have been doing a modern equivalent of The Grand Tour and are visiting England as a finale before returning home. As a part of their time in England they'll be staying here. Only for a couple of days but still, it'll be great to see them. And show them around the city. There's still some good stuff here. The locals haven't wrecked it all *g*. (Though they didn't do a bad job, in the 1950s, of finishing the destruction that the Luftwaffe started in 1942's Baedeker raids.)

Spent some time today with a...erm...occasional, casual companion (how's that for a euphemism *g*). We've met up every so often for several years now. Neither of us wanted involvement. Her life (and opportunities for casual companionship) was complicated by having a young son. It almost kept me away because kids scare the bejesus out of me. I don't know how to react to them. Or talk to them. Which is odd really as I'm a big kid myself. (As anyone who's watched me playing on the swings, or feeding the lambs at Crealy Park, can attest. Weirdly though, kids seem to like me, awkward as I am around them.

It was difficult at first, you have to be really careful where kids are involved. It's so easy for them to become attached and then get really hurt if you drop out of sight for a bit. We wanted to avoid that When it became obvious that he was looking forward to seeing me we made a point of explaining as best as we could (keeping it simple as he was just a toddler) and including him in some of our time. I'd read him a story before we went out & left him with the babysitter, or help him with a jigsaw, or play trains, things like that It seems to have worked ok. He accepted that I wasn't a permanent fixture but that I would keep visiting and I would keep including him. I hadn't seen him for a wee while - oh boy has he grown in the last few months!! He's at school now, and getting cocky. (They broke up for summer yesterday.) Still a good lad, though.

Since the day was windy (bloody ada, was it ever!!) we went to the beach to go kite-flying. I haven't gone kite-flying in years. Had a whale of a time. all of us. I'd forgotten how much fun it could be. But blimey am I tired. I must've run an entire marathon up and down that beach.

Hope your day was as much fun as mine. See you next week. Goodnight and may your God/s go with you.

Ze

No comments: