Friday, June 18, 2010

Ramble from UK

Yeah...have at it!
"The flip of a coin"

Heads or tails – flip the coin and you will see that even the smallest coin has two sides ! One – more often than not – with the imprint of a persons head, the other stating the denomination. Look at any book in print – turn it over and assure yourself that the cover comes with a front and a back. One with an inviting picture the other with a summary or even a few lines of recommendation from a written review.

If you think about it almost everything has two sides and you know, that you can easily find at least two different points of views on almost any subject – do God exist? Is the world flat? Do each of us have a soul mate waiting just for us?

As for (fan) fiction – flip the coin – see the writer – flip the coin – you see the reader. Unless we are talking about diaries written to chronicle life and kept under lock, I take it that fics are written to be read by others, and when posted the writers ask us all to spend time reading the stories.

You can blog on how to write fiction – a number of women do just that at the blog “Women and Words [http://lesbianauthors.wordpress.com/] and if you – flip the coin – you can blog on what it’s like to read the fics. I like to do that, blog [http://fanficrev.blogspot.com/] about the (fan) fics I like, and I do that, not for the benefit of the writers, but to share my thoughts with other readers. I know if you – flip the coin – my reviews are just the same a comment on the work of a writer and it’s out there for every one to read - even those it wasn't meant for.

Ok – lets flip the coin once more and see what we get – a head – flip again – another head – hey it's a trick coin – fixed to give you the result you wager for! That's what I like about (fan) fiction it's fixed … if you spend enough time reading the stories available you get to know the standard storylines, even if you never set eyes on the TV-show that the characters are based on. In a fixed world like that it's safe for – even amateur - writers to venture out with our heroines in imaginative new settings as they know what elements to put in the story to move it alone, and – flip the coin - it's safe for the reader to start yet another fic – we know that we will – most likely – get what we put in our reading time to get.

Let's see – one dark and gorgeous (check), one fierce and blond (check), a meeting with the love of your life (check), angst (check), a bit more angst (check), kissing and perhaps some hot stuff (check), living happily ever after (check). Sound deadly boring but it's not - well it can be - but often I find, that the writer has found yet a new setting for the favourite ladies or a twist of the storyline good enough to entertaining someone like me.

So as a reader I'm quite content to have alt romantic fics within the fixed framework as long as the writer take the time to use her imagination and writing skills to create her own setting, flow of the storyline and characterisation of the protagonists.

I'm no writer and I have no idea what it takes to put together a coherent storyline or how to make the characters come alive and make their feelings appear real, but I'm an avid reader and I know when a story is entertaining and touching enough for me to spend my reading time on it.

But to end this with the - flip of a coin – I have no idea if my thoughts on what's entertaining or touching are shared by other readers. So when I review fics or ramble along on (fan) fiction and – flip the coin – you read my words, they are just that my words for you to agree or disagree with.

With a smile

UK

With a smile I say, come ramble any time! Enjoy the updates gang!

Peace, Health and Happiness,

Elisa

No comments: