Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Another Guest Ramble

Another ramble from UK (no - not the country!!)


    Why carry a walking stick if you don’t need one ?

    Would you ride a tricycle if you could balance on a two-wheeled bike? Well I guess someone really high on safety might answer that question with a Yes, but all the rest of us … well wouldn’t we just look a little confused when asked and pinch our eyes together while trying to focus on the part of the question that makes it a trick one.

    If you can walk safely without support and you can ride a great distance without a third wheel, I say you don’t need neither the walking stick nor the tricycle.

    In the universe of uber fan fiction a number of stereotype physical characteristics are always at hand. We all know them so well – our protagonists are always strikingly beautiful, either 6ft tall with a well developed muscle tone or just a little spit, have silky raven-coloured hair or a short strawberry blond bob, and oh don’t forget the eyes; these are crystal blue, cerulean or green with an enchanting sparkle.

    I get the feeling that somewhere in universe of fan fiction someone has put up a sign "WARNING – for your own safety - carry a walking stick at all times!" In the case of uber fan fiction I take it that all the "writer chicks" take this warning to heart and make a leap for the nearest pile of "sticks" and surprise - they all end up with the same set of stereotype physical characteristics for their protagonists - to lean on for safety.

    Ok I do "get it" - it’s canon or something, but in my opinion tribute to the original is just as well paid by including the right character traits in the personification of the protagonists. It’s really not necessary to drive the point home by having "blue eyes meet green" or "large hand holding small" - at least not all the time.

    My motto when it comes to (fan) fiction is – "Less is more" – sometimes the point come across so much more clearly when it is approached with fewer repetitions or in a more subtle way, and I think that most of our beloved "writer chicks" are actually able to let go of the walking stick and carry them self on the merit of their own writing skills!

    I hope I haven’t offended anyone, as I really do appreciate all the time the "writer chicks" spend behind the computers giving life to our favourite ladies in yet a new storyline. Think of this as just a bit of food for thought. I for one will read on even if the "chicks" do stick with the stereotypes. I guess I need the fan fiction to lean on while rambling through real life.

    UK


Well, there you go. Mind you - the tall, dark, brooding/short, blonde, light-hearted stereotype goes back waaaaayyy further than fan-fiction, the internet or for that matter - Lesfic romance... I guess writers work on the principle that you shouldn't mess with a good recipe. But I agree, oh boy do I agree with the eye meeting thing. Eyes don't meet. (Splat!! Icky!!) They don't travel round the room. (Messy). They sure as hell don't sweep over someone's body. Glances meet, gazes travel, looks sweep. Eyes stay right where they are.

Tomorrow you get more of my blathering, but for tonight drop UK a line if you liked the ramble. And now, enjoy your updates. You've got LotS to read. (Geddit...LotS.) Ok it wasn't funny. I know. I know...

Ze

No comments: