Wednesday, May 05, 2010

UK General Election

Vote. You know it makes sense.

Tomorrow's polling day. I don't care who you vote for (well, I do, really, but it's none of my business/not my place to say more) as long as you do vote.

I always vote. As I've said before (and will likely say again - frequently *g*) a lot of working-class folk, a lot of women, struggled and died so that I, a working-class woman, can vote. It would betray that struggle if I didn't vote. And I vote the old-fashioned way. The going-into-the-little-booth-and-marking-a-cross-on-the-paper way. I know postal votes still count, and I know loads of people do the postal thing these days, but it just doesn't feel the same to me. Putting that pencil cross on that paper just feels, I don't know, more special somehow.

I see that today is a festival in the USA - Cinco de Mayo - I'd not heard of the Cinco de Mayo thing before so I researched it. I discovered that it's not really a big deal in Mexico even though it's celebrating a Mexican victory over the French (should I be a "Little Englander" here about the French?? Nah. I'll be good *g*). I guess that's a bit like Paddy's Day being a bigger deal in the USA than in Ireland. It was interesting though - my inner history geek was fascinated.

So - before I sign off I'll wish all of you who do celebrate it a Happy Cinco de Mayo.

Not so many updates tonight. That'll give you time to catch up on the previous two days extensive lists.

Good night and may your God/s go with you.

Ze

No comments: