Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Painting

I love my trade. It's very relaxing sometimes. Especially painting gloss. It always looks so good, smooth, shiny. Nice.

Doing a private job this week. In other words I'm not sub-contracted to a large company, or working on a building site. I'm working in a private home. Painting, papering and carpet-laying the spare bedroom for a middle-aged couple. It wasn't always the spare room. It used to be their son's, but he's at uni now and when he graduates (as he's expected to do shortly) he's moving in with his girlfriend. I know this because the couple are chatterboxes and I've heard all about it.

Private jobs can be... difficult. You can get a client who stares over your shoulder the whole time, either offering suggestions or criticism (you have to bite your tongue and not respond with something like, "why the hell did you hire me since you can obviously do it better??"). Sometimes you get a good client who tells you what they'd like & then leaves you alone to get on with it. (I like those types).

Sometimes you get an interesting client. Someone with a story to tell. I did a job for an old boy, a few years ago, who spent most of the week talking about the things he'd seen in the war. I know a lot of people would consider that hell - not me. It's history. Witness testimony. The ordinary people's view on major historical events and it's beyond price.

Sometimes you get little old ladies who bake cakes and bring you tea - and who are lonely and just want to talk. Often they have a story to tell too. Maybe that little old lady, who has trouble walking, and doesn't hear very well now, isn't just a nuisance. Maybe she was an OIS agent in the war and has tales to tell of sabotage in France and hiding from the Gestapo. You never know.

This couple aren't that exciting. But they do chat. When they're not talking about their son they're talking politics. (As is most of the country this week.) They're LibDem voters. They're extremely disillusioned at present. They're swearing never to vote LibDem again. They tell me next election they're voting Green Party. I approve. They have a great taste in decor - they picked some lovely wallpaper - which is also easy to match. And a beautiful deep burgundy gloss for the woodwork. Lovely to work with. I approve of that too. Nice people.

Have a good week. Goodnight and may your God/s go with you.

Ze

No comments: