Thursday, May 27, 2010

Ramble from UK

Enjoy...I certainly did!
Another ramble - this one on Manuals !

I've been looking around for the Manual.... everything comes with one of those these day's, my heart rate monitor came with one, the GPS I got for the car had one, even the new car had one or rather two – there is a separate on for the radio! But I still haven't found the manual for readers of (fan) fiction. You know the little booklet that tells you all the things you ought to know to get around in the world of (fan) fiction.

Some might ask what I would want with a Manual. We have Google and Wikipedia along with loads of blogs and sites that will tell little interesting things about everything or sometimes a lot about something, which you don't really want to know. Well I've made good use of a number of different online resources during my time in the universe of (fan) fiction, but I still would have liked that authoritative guide on "How to..."

Wouldn't it have been nice to have someone tell you "How to get hold of you poison". Think of all the time you could have saved or spend reading (fan) fiction instead of browsing around the net looking for the absolute best sites to sample fiction from and for the best stories to spend your time on. I for one love the archives at The Athenaeum and The Academy of Bards, but I guess that I just lucked out coming across those pretty early in my (fan) fiction career. And it goes without saying that The Uber Ect is a favourite of min as well – think of all the time saved by having this one place to look for the news in the world of (fan) fiction.

A Manual might also come with one of those "For your own safety read this before use" chapters listing warnings like "wear a safety line if you insist on reading stories labelled "unfinished" the writer is likely to leave you with a cliff hanger", or always "be on the look out for "head hopping" if you insist on reading stories with a declaration that no beta reader has been used".

For those of us who came into the (fan) fiction universe well after the end of the Xena show it might also be quite useful to have a chapter titled "Don't worry your not imagining it...." This chapter might explain the whereabouts of the yet undiscovered part of the world inhabited by infinite numbers of women with either raven hair and blue eyes or blond hair and green eyes, and endless amount of large hands that holds small hands .... I mean it's not just my imagination playing a trick on me ...is it?

If one of you, with a long history in the universe of (fan) fiction, would be willing to spend some time writing up a Manual, I for one would be a happy reader. I'm not too old to learn new tricks that could be helpful on my rambles round the universe!

UK


LOL..UK, thank you for making Tamara and I laugh while I was putting this into our evening update. On that note may you all enjoy and let UK know we love to have more rambles. Also if one of you has that manual by all means share it with us all, thanks!

Peace, Health and Happiness.

Elisa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know what happened to the Acadamy of Bards site? The page is no longer found. I sure hope this is just temporary.

E said...

Must have been a glitch, it was there tonight!

zero2aries said...

Server went down overnight but it was fixed by Friday morning.