Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Slainte

Happy St. Paddy's Day to our Irish (and of Irish ancestry) readers. Oh and Americans take note - Paddy not Patty. *g*

Well I've had me tea (cal ceannann - and I see the site doesn't like the accent on this any more than it likes the one on slainte!!) and me pint of porter (which was 500ml not a pint coz bottles don't come in pint sizes any more - as per last week's ramble) and The Dubliners on the radio so I'm all Irished out. I'll be back to being offensively English tomorrow and ignoring the Irish side of the family (as they do me in return). Unless Ireland win the Six Nations - which seems likely - when I'll be celebrating being half-Irish again.

Right. On to tonight's ramble. After last week's jeans ramble somebody left a comment that said I hope that this is You demonstrating that you are a talented writer and not a story of your real life lack of shopping skill.

First - thank you for the compliment. I hope I am a fairly decent writer. I hope my fiction is amusing (when I want it to be), scary (ditto), romantic (ditto), etc. I try to keep improving. I want to be a really good writer. These rambles however - not fiction. That's why they're called rambles. They're me wittering about stuff, not writing fiction. My life really is a disaster area sometimes. I do try not to be - I love order and I hate chaos - but it seems that I'm destined to spread chaos wherever I go. Of course, these disasters are spread over time. They don't all happen at once or in quick succession. My life's crazy but not that crazy. There are weeks, months, years sometimes, of mundane, boring days in between the highlights. One of my earliest rambles posted here (the bacon sandwich) was taken from an incident that happened over half my life ago.

They're the truth - they're just the truth written by a writer with (I hope) a talent for comedy. And sometimes little bits are left out. Because often the whole truth isn't quite as funny. Take the bacon sandwich incident again. What I wrote of it was funny. (And it happened exactly as written - but with more swearing). What I left out though - it doesn't show me in a very good light. In fact the me now would take the me of then outside and beat the crap out of me. Because I deserved to be horsewhipped. Why?? Read between the lines.

If you want to read it again it's here.

Found it yet?? It's this line "Even though she was a mere teenager at the time". My teenage cousin was staying with me. I had gone out - leaving her on her own - and picked up a woman for casual sex. I had brought that woman home to spend the night. My cousin was 13. See what I mean?? Definitely not good. Leaving that in would have spoilt the whole story. Even real life needs editing.

So - thanks again. I do try to be a good writer, whether I'm writing fiction or non-fiction. And yes, these snippets are true. It's just they're real life with edits.

See you next week. Goodnight and may your God/s go with you.

Ze

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The humor in these updates makes my evenings. I've completely forgotten how I stumbled upon this site, but I'm glad I rediscovered it in my bookmarks.

E said...

Ze definitely has a way with the words...she makes reading fun!