Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Pancake Day

Yeah!! Pancakes!!

Now before any of you Americans (who are used to breakfast pancakes on a regular basis) get worried - no we don't eat pancakes only on one day a year. It's just that Pancake Day - Shrove Tuesday - is special to us Brits (and several ex-Empire countries such as Australia). Although these days we eat pancakes at any time we (or most of us) make a point of eating them on Pancake Day. And they're for tea (evening meal) or dessert after that meal and not breakfast. The tradition started long, long ago and was originally the last fat-filled treat before Lent.

English pancakes are not like American ones (which to us would be griddle scones, drop-scones, or Scotch pancakes). No, English pancakes are thin - more like a crepe - and are served sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice. And very nice they are too.

In our house we eat them for tea - lots of them - and as usual I've eaten way too many. I should have stopped at six, but I had two left over. (Same amount of batter as usual but no dogs to share with any more). Eight was too many. Eight was insanely over-the-top.

I don't feel so good.

Ze

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would say that eight pancakes is impossible - on a good day I can do three. If I squish down a fourth I feel real bad for an hour or two and I swear myself off pancakes for years afterwards!

(I'm referring to the British type of thin pancakes!)

UK

Anonymous said...

I thought I'd done well at four. Mind you, two of those were savoury and stuffed with peppers, mushrooms, ham and cheese so that's worth at least another pancake...

When I was a kid I was sure I could eat at least ten...