Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Snow

Well the Met Office said there would be heavy snow overnight and for once they got it right. It snowed. A lot. And then for most of the day it snowed. The County Council decided the roads weren't safe enough to run the school buses so most of the schools were closed. The police said simply, "If you don't have to drive - don't". The kids were out tobogganing on anything they could find. Plastic trays, metal sheets, boogie boards, even an occasional sledge. They built snowmen (or should that be snow people?? Snow figures??) which isn't something we often get to do down here. The South-West doesn't often get enough snow for that. And there's snow forecast for the rest of the week.

Of course the kind of snow we had, that brings the country to a screaming halt, is laughable in comparison to that which folk in Canada, The Tirol, Russia etc. get (and deal with) every year. But this is England - where winter always catches us by surprise. the Welsh are just as bad. The Scots cope a little better, but not by much.

Me?? I was working in it. In seven layers of clothing. I could hardly move. I warmed up pretty quick though. I can't use a pneumatic drill (jackhammer) to dig as the vibration upsets the various plates, bolts and screws that hold my arm & shoulder together so I'm left with the old-fashioned methods. Pick-axe (but left-handed even though I'm right-handed, as my 90% recovery doesn't include being able to put my arm behind my back at all) and spade. Vigorous digging through 12cm of snow and 10cm of frost-hardened soil warms you up a treat. But oh boy do I ache.

I used to like snow... once upon a time.

But I got a parcel that made all the aches go away. I have the best friends, The absolute best in the world. Tamara sent me a copy of a Birds of Prey comic (my favourite comics) that was autographed by Gail Simone!! And a copy of the book of her collected You'll All Be Sorry articles - not only autographed but with a personal message to me!! How bloody Brill is that then!! Wicked.

Lots to read tonight so I'll let you get on with it. Goodnight and may your God/s go with you.

Ze

1 comment:

Tamara said...

I'm very pleased you were happy about the package. How fortuitous for your aches and pains that I waited almost a year to send it to you. Good news! The 2010 Emerald City Comicon is coming up. Anyone you desire to autograph something just for you? http://www.emeraldcitycomicon.com/