Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Saga of Cal's Tooth

When Cal was two he chipped his front tooth on a park bench. The chip was bad enough that it required a cap to save the tooth. Insurance covered the cost and he came out of the experience none the worse for wear. In June of this year the cap fell off. I suspected it wasn't long for this world since his tooth had grown quite a bit. We lucked out on recapping the tooth because while the receptionist at the dentist's said our insurance wouldn't cover more than one cap, it ended up being covered. Let me tell you, getting that refund check from the dentist was quite keen.

So...I figured we'd be good for at least another few years with the new cap. That would be great because he should lose his front teeth by then anyway. Sadly this wasn't the case. He recently broke the cap again while eating popcorn at mom's house. I don't know about you but I usually chew popcorn with my back teeth. Anyway I figured we couldn't be so lucky again. I was prepared to pay that $300 for another cap. Luckily my dentist was more than willing to redo the cap for no charge since the darn thing hadn't even been in place for six months.

Now...everyone please send good vibes Cal's way to encourage him not to chip this tooth again. I've got about another year before he starts losing those front teeth to permanent teeth. It just has to hold out until then. I'm seriously considering getting that puppy bronzed when it does fall out with a nice inscription reading something along the lines of Here lies the $1000 tooth. We won't miss him. In the meantime, would it be considered child abuse if I forbid Cal to eat anything but mashed potatoes and cream of wheat until that damn baby tooth falls out?

Tamara

No comments: