Tuesday, March 19, 2013

How Much Wood Would a Woodpecker Peck.

First - Congratulations to Elisa & Tamara on their marriage. Brill. Pleased for you. Have a great day. There had better be photos!!

Next - tomorrow is the Equinox so we wish a Good Ostara (in the north) or Mabon (in the south) to our Pagan and Wiccan readers.

Saw a Lesser-Spotted Woodpecker near work today. Petty chuffed about that because it's the rarest of our three native woodpeckers. It was high up in a conifer, carving out a nest hole. How they don't get whiplash from all that hammering... Incredible. The hole was a perfect circle. I couldn't have done half as good a job of it with the finest chisels you could buy. Hell, I couldn't even have made such a perfect circle with a hole saw. Amazing stuff. I felt privileged to have seen it.

My contract comes to an end soon. On Maundy Thursday to be precise. So I won't be working here after that for a while. I do have a new contract starting up on the Tuesday after Easter, so I won't be out of work. It's for the same end-company but on a different site, on the other side of the river. I broke the bad news to little Barbara yesterday, that she won't be able to join us over the Easter break. I did promise that I would keep in touch, and that I would see if the new site manager would let her join us in the summer - if her mother is prepared to travel that far. (It means 2 buses and an hour's travel from her home.) If they will agree to it then I'll find some painting she can do. If not, well I'll be back at this site in October with a new contract, and they've promised that she can help out during the autumn half-term break. She cheered up a bit at that.

Not a lot for you tonight, I'm afraid.

Ze

No comments: