Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Elections, Bonfires, and Tar Barrels

First - I doubt there's a person in the world (who has internet access) who isn't aware that there's an election today in the USA. If you are one of the 200million or so people who happen to live in the USA, and are eligible to vote - please get out there and vote.

Now you might be thinking to yourself, "She's British, what does she care, none of her damn' business??"

Well yeah, maybe it isn't my business to tell you who to vote for, or how, or why. But it's certainly my business - and the business of everybody who has struggled for, or is a descendent of someone who fought for, the right to vote - to ask you politely to get out there and make their sacrifice worth while by voting.

And your election matters to most of the rest of the world because what the USA does affects the rest of the world. The USA is the only super-power left. It won't always be that way, it is the nature of empires to decay and be replaced, and yours will in due time. Fifty years from now I reckon it will be India and China that are the super-powers. But right now it's you.

So please vote. And vote carefully, with due thought and consideration, for the candidate you feel best represents your country's future. And for the future of the world.

Right. Yesterday was Guy Fawkes' Night (aka Bonfire Night) here in the UK ()and in many of our former colonies. For years (decades even - separately and as a family) my cousin and I have celebrated this night with our own little rituals. Baked potatoes, (veggie) sausages, and beans. A trip to an organised bonfire and firework display. And every year for the past ten years we've discussed skipping the ritual and heading to Ottery for the Tar Barrels.

Well this year we finally did.

It was fantastic. I didn't think it was possible to get so many people into such a small town. I was astonished to see just how close the watchers can get to the barrels. Close enough to get singed if you don't duck in time. I would love to run it but you have to be Ottery born-and-bred.

Of course, pillock that I am, I forgot my camera. I tried taking pics on my mobile but I only have a 7 year old, basic, Sony Ericsson not a nice modern smartphone, so all I got was a lot of pics of blackness interspersed with the odd pic of searing brightness. None of which show anything.

But if you'd like to see what it's like there's a YouTube of last year's run.

We even managed to pick up some veggie sausages from one of the many vans selling hot snacks. Magic!!

Ze

1 comment:

Tamara said...

" The USA is the only super-power left. It won't always be that way, it is the nature of empires to decay and be replaced, and yours will in due time. Fifty years from now I reckon it will be India and China that are the super-powers. But right now it's you."

I'm so glad you said it. I can't tell you how hopping mad I get when our politicians blather on about "American Exceptionalism". You don't mess with the lessons of history and history tells us every "empire" that thought of itself as exceptional was eventually replaced by yet another exceptional power. We will be no different.