Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A Giant Leap

As regular readers know I still look up at the moon each July and marvel at the fact that human beings have set foot on another planet. I still sit and remember the awe I felt sitting in my pyjamas watching those pictures on my uncle's tv. I still feel that awe.

Well the first man to set foot on that other world left this one this past weekend. Neil Armstrong died of complications following an operation. He was 82, so he'd had a good long life. And he'd done things most of us can only dream of doing.

And if we ever reach the stars, centuries from now humankind will still look back on that first landing, and they will still know the name of the first human being to set foot on another world.

I hope he's up there again, right now, sitting beside those footprints and grinning. R.I.P. Neil Armstrong. Always a hero.

Ze

No comments: