Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Drive Takes a Dive

OK... let's see if I can send tonight's update out without a glaringly obvious typo which I totally fail to see until it's too late and it's wound up in my inbox.

Next - apologies if you've sent me an email recently (chiefly in the fortnight up until last Saturday but also a slightly older one from Mel AKA Scribingbard) and I haven't replied.

Unfortunately the second-hand and rather elderly (80gig hard-drive, 256 RAM) HP PC I was using suffered a catastrophic and completely irreparable hard-drive meltdown. I use Thunderbird to read my email. The trouble with using an email client to read mail, rather than reading on the web, is that once you've downloaded it, if you haven't left a copy on the server (because you're saving space), you're stuffed. Your hard-drive crashes and takes everything with it and you've no way of reading them let alone replying. And everything you've saved for the past year - gone, never to be recovered.

In future I'll be leaving a copy on the server until I've replied. But that doesn't really help with those already lost. So - if you haven't had a reply, I'm really sorry but I can't send you one.

At least I'd backed my files up to cd. Although I can't do a lot with those cds yet, I'm currently using the (also second-hand of which I changed the hard-drive) laptop acquired a year ago. And it doesn't have a working cd drive!!

I will be buying a new pc asap. (Well, a new to me, refubished one anyway.)

So - a reminder - back up your files folks!!

Goodnight and may your God/s go with you.


Ze

No comments: