Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Potting

Been a bit worried about work. Not that I miss being outside in the weather we've had this week. "Heavy rain" doesn't begin to describe it. Add in the gale-force winds and the low temperatures and you'd think it was November if it wasn't for the fact the geraniums are still in bloom. But I've still been a bit concerned - I'm self-employed and I can't afford another month off work.

It's double annoying because there are six - six - jobs in the JobCentre for time-served painters right now. My proper trade. There's seldom more than one going at a time. Which is why I do all sorts of other construction-type work as well. All those jobs - some lasting for months not just a couple of weeks. And I'm stuck at home. Even I'm not daft enough to try and do my usual job with a broken ankle. But I do need an income.

I can stop worrying. Today I got a temporary job that I can do with a broken ankle. And my doctor said it's ok because I'll be sitting down. It's temporary, for six weeks. Just long enough. (I doubt I could do it for much longer really). It's only minimum wage but hell - better than no money at all.

It's working in a greenhouse, 8-5 Monday to Friday. With half-hour for lunch.. I take a tray of fifteen 10cm pots, that a machine has already filled with potting compost, from the table on my left, I remove one of the tiny little plus (1cm x 1cm) containing a baby polyanthus plant from the tray of 286 plugs, on my right. I use my index finger to make a hole in the compost in one of the pots, put the plug in, and when all 15 pots are done I push the tray across to another person who will carry it to be watered in. Easy. I have to complete one 286-plug tray every hour.

I had a 4 hour trial today to see if they felt I could do it. I can. It's actually quite relaxing. I feel sorry for those tiny little plants though. It seems cruel to stick them into a pots like that, half drown them and expect them to grow. Plucky little things. Apparently they'll be nice & ready for the autumn planting come the end of October. By which time I probably won't want to see another one as long as I live. *g*

I start 8am Tuesday. (Monday's a bank holiday) I'm looking forward to it.

Enjoy your updates, goodnight and may your God/s go with you

Ze

No comments: