Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ahhh - soup

It rained today. Very welcome it was, too. Not enough though. You know you need more rain when the soil looks nice and damp but if you stick your fingers into it it's bone dry under the surface.

Of course baking hot & humid weather plus a bit of rain does have an effect on the vegetables in the allotment. Specifically the lettuces. They bolt (all the varieties) and there's not a lot you can do with a lettuce once it's bolted. Most of the leaves will have turned too bitter for salad. You can make a very nice soup from them. It just so happens that I really love soups & stews, so that's not so bad. But it's hellish difficult finding a recipe that doesn't contain butter or cream.

Not that I'll be the one cooking it of course. Anybody who's read the incident of the bacon sandwich knows that the sensible thing to do is keep me well away from the cooker... and any other naked flame. Unless of course you actually want to burn the house down (claiming on the insurance, perhaps).

No I don't cook. I re-heat. I nuke. I can throw together a bloody good salad or three. I can even chuck a whole load of stuff into a pressure cooker, boil it for fifteen minutes and call it stew. But I don't do the preparing-from-scratch-and-cooking-properly thing. I do, however, find the recipes, buy the ingredients and do the washing up afterwards. We have this agreement - my cousin doesn't mind doing all the cooking as long as she doesn't also have to decide what to cook and then clean up. Apparently that's the wearisome thing about cooking, not the doing it but actually thinking about what to do in the first place.

I do have a really good recipe that doesn't have butter & cream in it. I've had it for years. A friend in Cardiff gave me it after I told her how much I enjoyed the soup she made. The only trouble is I've never been able to read it. It's in the weird foreign language you see. One with far too many consonants and not nearly enough vowels. (I refuse to treat "w" as a vowel!!) Of course speakers of that language probably consider it the proper language for this country and English as the strange foreign tongue.

I think I'm probably going to have to type it out carefully and then look pleading and hopeful (not easy to do on the 'net) and beg some friends, who do have a knowledge of the tongue-twister language, to translate for me.

The language??

Welsh. *g*

Ze

No comments: