Monday, January 19, 2009

Ramble from phair

We are once again lucky enough to have phair share part of her world.
It's colder than a titch's wit up here in the Commonwealth. We've seen more than a few days in single digits and too many snowy days this soon in the new year. The ground is little more than rock hard ice and slippery as the proverbial slope. After a two year absence, winter has reasserted his birthright strangle hold on New England.

And, so it goes, my house is cold. I've got it just warm enough to keep the pipes from freezing. My body, however, is not as easily maintained as the pipes or as easily warmed as last year, it would seem.

"I'm feelin' the cold," my mother would say as she got older.

I use to tease her that she kept our house like an ice box when we lived in a triple decker in the city. She'd flash me that glare which frightened me as a child but amused me no end as an adult.

"You just wait," was the warning to end the conversation. Usually, it was the warning which ended all conversation.

Now I know what she meant. The chill likes to settle across my shoulders and if I don't put on a sweater, I'll have a stiff neck the next morning. My preference is to keep my feet bare at home. But lately, they are like size 7 blocks of ice by evening. I've taken to wearing the feeted pajamas I got in 2004 as a, 'just in case.' But, worst of all, my nose is cold - I think I hate that most.

Still, the snow falls mindless of my discomfort. Actually, it continues mindless of all human suffering. Winter will flurry and blizzard through my lifetime as it did throughout my mother's which was dramatically similar to the winters of my grandmother's life. There's a reassuring repetitive poetry to winter. A snow covered field is not much different between my grandmother's time and my toddler niece's. Snow, cold and white, falls in drifting swirls or driven on the Northeast wind to cover the grass with a frozen blanket until the sun muscles her way back to power and melt it all away.

We talk so much about the human ability to save or destroy the planet. How we're warming or cooling or defrosting the globe. The seas are rising and the farm lands are dry. All of nature is on the verge of extinction because of the reckless over population of the earth by the bipeds with opposable thumbs.

It is kind of funny, when you're trapped shivering in your cold home because of ice and snow, to think how much of our time we spend worrying about ruining the environment. It might be closer to the truth that we have no real ability to save the planet. In fact, it may be truer that the world will just have to save and destroy us - one snow flake at a time.

phair


You know last time she wrote I was somewhat jealous of her snow, that no longer holds true. So for tonight I wish us all an early spring. For those of us in the US, on this historic Martin Luther King Day I wish you all the very best and even more so I hold the hope we all have a brighter future with tomorrow's inauguration of Barack Obama.

Enjoy your updates!

Elisa

No comments: