Thursday, July 12, 2007

Ramble from Linda

Yippee...a ramble from Linda.
Today is another hot day in Tucson with temperatures in the high 90's. Normally it would be in the 100's but our monsoon season has started.

My niece Victoria insists on playing outside in this heat. Every hour I have her coming in the house to cool off and rest for awhile. Today she was playing with the cute boy across the street, Gavin. Because she didn't want to come in I had them sit in the shaded area near my front window. I gave them some fresh fruit slices and bottles of ice water.

As they ate, I watched them from my chair. They were so cute together talking and stealing fruit from each other's bowl. Few minutes later I got a shock. Gavin moving with lightning reflexes kissed Victoria on the cheek. I think all three of us were stunned by the kiss.

I wanted to run out there and pull Victoria in the house. 'She's too young' my mind screamed. Thank the gods I didn't. It was have embarrassed her to no ends.

Short time later Victoria came in to the house with the cutest look on her face. Total dreamy, stunned and happy look. She sat on the couch, staring off into space. I didn't say anything because I didn't want her to know I was spying. Ten minutes passed before she said, "Linny, he kissed me."

We talked about it. It was her first kiss from a boy. I teased her about what her father or her Uncle Bill will say about this. They would most likely want to know what his intentions were, were they going to marry and could he afford to support her. I wanted to laugh but she got this look of horror on her face. Victoria made me promise never to tell her father. He says the girls can't date until they are 30. He's joking, I think.

Then she said something that totally blew me out of the water. "Besides it was just a little cheek action." EXCUSE ME!!! A little cheek action!!??

Where the h*#% did that come from. Victoria is 8 years old. I am 50 and I have never heard that one before. I didn't know rather to laugh, cry or lock her in her room. I was speechless. Victoria of course found it funny how I reacted.

I find that I am not ready for this at all. OMG, a little cheek action. OH, look I think I just found my first gray hair.

Linda


Of course I have a few comments here, first off I would not do well in Tucson, that kind of weather would do me in. Secondly I am gonna hope in a year my 7 year old doesn't shock me with "a little cheek action".

Please thank Linda once again for sharing, we all totally appreciate it. Also consider sending us your thoughts and stories, we always appreciate these rambles. Now back to your updates, enjoy 'em.

Elisa

No comments: