Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Cranky

Cal has been taking swim lessons with his pal Tanner for the past two weeks. They're done by YMCA staff at a local outdoor pool. After each morning lesson Tanner has been coming over to our house for a full day of play time. He calls it "Calvin's Daycare".

For the most part these two get along, butting heads only when they both want to be in charge. Tanner's mom thinks I'm crazy for wanting to put up with them all day but it keeps Cal entertained and lets me get chores done. And I genuinely like Tanner. He's a great kid, very different from Cal. So much so that I call them the Odd Couple.

Today though they got on my last freakin' nerve. Maybe it was the fact that the air conditioning in Mike's '95 Neon was going to cost $520 to fix that set me up to be tense. (And, no, we didn't elect to get it fixed. He can just be hot on the short drive to and from work.) By the time they were in the swimming pool and freaking out about a dead spider at the bottom of the pool I was ready to get in the car and drive far, far away from children. I resisted the impulse and got them settled in playing. Then they pushed things by playing full contact basketball...in the house. Argh!

I'm thinking tomorrow we'll be spending most of our afternoon at the pool where they have their swim lessons. They can frolic under the watchful eye of lifeguards and I can read with the occasional dip in the pool to cool off.

Tamara

No comments: