Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Forty Days of Summer??

First - apologies to the reader using the email name leftofrit - I'm not ignoring you, I have tried to reply several times to some of the emails you've sent, but I keep getting a failure notice which says "Return Code 451] Sorry, I wasn’t able to establish an SMTP connection. I’m not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long."

Not that I can work out how an automated response can a) say "Sorry" or b) refer to itself in the first person... unless it's Skynet and a Terminator is on its way... we're all doomed!!!!!

..............................

Today is St Swithin's Day. (Also spelt Swithun) Fortunately it didn't rain here. Hope you didn't have rain where you are...
    St Swithun's day if thou dost rain
    For forty days it will remain
    St Swithun's day if thou be fair
    For forty days 'twill rain nae mare

..............................

Anybody else following the reports coming back from the New Horizons spacecraft??

The most awe-inspiring part of this whole expedition to me is the precision. They sent a craft into space, knowing it would take nearly ten years to get there. That craft had to fly past Pluto and take photos. So they had to programme it (with 2006 technology) to position itself just right, and take photographs - on a timer - at exactly the right moment.

That's pretty much the equivalent of me standing at my back door and throwing a single grain of rice to the bottom of the garden, and having it land perfectly on a pea.

Amazing stuff.

...............................

See you next week (I hope - I'll be at GCLS). Goodnight and May your God/s go with you.

Ze

No comments: