Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Guess What...

I've been considering adopting a dog or possibly two - it's been a long time since my boys died and I miss having a dog. On Friday I finished work early so I stopped off at the RSPCA shelter. The RSPCA re-homes dogs, cats, horses, goats, guinea pigs, rats, birds - you name it, they rescue it. They didn't have a lot of dogs on the website even though the kennels are pretty full, as they only list animals for adoption when they've been chipped, vaccinated, spayed/neutered, cleared for re-homing by a vet, and have spent a couple of weeks or so being assessed by the staff.

I went into the office and enquired about adoption. They were polite, welcoming, and helpful. They only had one dog cleared for re-homing at the time - a Staffie. I don't want a Staffie - I'd be too worried about my cousin's cat. She would put her foot down about any kind of terrier really, as she's not keen on them. I explained I was hoping for a collie, spaniel, or retriever of some type.

They gave me some forms to fill out and said I would be contacted for a home inspection. They asked what experience I had with pets. I told them about my dogs, my rats (long time ago), my cousin's cats, and little Snow the ferret.

When I mentioned Snow the staff member perked up. I had ferret experience?? Did I want another ferret??

Well... Snow was a lovely little thing, so affectionate, so intelligent, so playful...

I went to look at the ferrets.

The RSPCA were damned quick. They came for a home visit on Saturday and approved me for a dog, cat, or other animal.

You know what's coming now, don't you.

My two new ferrets, both albino, one female (spayed) and one male (neutered) arrive next Friday.

I'm really looking forward to getting them. Bought food, treats, new blankets, new toys, already.

Ze

No comments: