Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Weatherproofing.

I was looking at a new home for Snow last weekend, because the nights are drawing in and getting cooler, and I want her to be comfy through the winter, not cold and wet.

All the ones I liked were a bit too expensive. So I decided to build one myself. Or at least, adapt and weatherproof her old one. There wasn't anything wrong with her house really, it's just it's not insulated and it is a bit open to the weather at the front and sides.

Since I had today off anyway (doctor's appointment late morning) and the weather forecast was good, I thought I might as well do it today.

First thing to do was get the measuring, cutting, and sawing done - all the dangerous bits - while she slept, because she was going to have to be out of her house and running around the garden while I worked on it. I didn't need to wake her up, her natural curiosity kicked in, as soon as she heard the sawing she was down in the bottom section, hopping from foot-to-foot and peering through the bars.

When I let her out she promptly tried to climb up my leg to see what I was doing. Not very successfully, as she couldn't get a good grip on my jeans.

It took a lot longer than I planned as I had to keep stopping work to play - or to catch her before she wriggled out of the garden through the fence.

Eventually it was done. I raised it slightly and rested it on plastic insulation sheets. Then I insulated the sides and roof - couldn't do the front because she needs to get in and out and I need access to clean, change the tray, and put her food bowl in.

Then I covered the whole thing in one of those easy-assemble, plastic, walk-in greenhouses. It's ideal. Keeps the wind and rain off but still allows her to see out and come and go. Perfect.

She had a good nose around and explored - fun new bits to climb and places to hang toys - and then she went back into her house and demanded her supper. Food is so much more interesting than weather protection!!

Ze

2 comments:

Tamara said...

I love these Snow updates. Not enough to get a ferret but it's nice to live vicariously through you.

zero2aries said...

LOL. Yeah, I don't think I would have chosen a ferret if I were looking for a pet, I'd have got a dog, or maybe a cat (the kid likes cats). But having sort of acquired her semi-involuntarily, it's great having her. Shes good company, undemanding, doesn't need walking far, (though she does need a lot of exercise she can get that from toys), easy to feed, intelligent, inquisitive - and cute.

She does whiff a bit though...