Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Gone Again...

Regular readers will know I mark the summer by the presence (or absence) of swifts and swallows. They arrive in April or May and I know summer is not far away. They leave in late August to early September and I know that summer is all but over.

Well this year Mother Nature is off-kilter. The "dawn chorus" stopped early. The blackbirds and thrushes have stopped singing already.

And this past weekend... they left.

On Friday, in my lunch-break, I stood and watched the swarms of swifts racing, in huge, sweeping circles, high across the sky, while below them swallows swooped and dived. On Monday I stood at lunchtime and the sky was empty.

Not yet August and they've gone.

We're still having that heatwave, there are still hordes of insects for them to eat, but they've gone. Summer's not yet over. But they've gone.

I really don't want to think about winter coming. Not yet. But there are only 147 days til Christmas...

And on that note I'll bid you good night *g*

Enjoy your updates. Goodnight and may your God/s go with you.

Ze

No comments: