Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Incy, Wincy...

It was the first day of Autumn last Sunday and today it really felt like it. It was clammy, foggy, and damp. And, as is usual with fog at this time of year, all the thousands of spider-webs that cover every bush, or stretch between every grouping of two or more plants, became very visible.

The complex pattens of delicate strands, sparkling with drops of moisture, and shrouded in mist would be incredibly beautiful if only they weren't occupied by things with eight legs!!

Where do all these enormous, yellow-striped monstrosities suddenly appear from?? Where do they hide for the rest of the year?? Why are there only two sizes - 1) big and 2) bloody huge - why are there no tiny ones??

And why are all the hard-as-nails, rough, tough, bold, strong butches terrified of the little buggers??

I always close my eyes for the first fifteen minutes or so of any Spider-Man movie, and rely on audio-description to tell me what's happening. Yet my femme, loves pink, had ballet lessons, straight, sister - who phones for help if her cat brings in a bird, frog, or mouse because she can't bear to touch a dead thing - can pick up a spider with total equanimity and lovingly place it outside. And she's even capable of going to sleep knowing there's one in the room somewhere!! **shudder**

Aaaghh - now I've spooked myself - I know there isn't one in my room (not with the amount of Raid I've spread around) - but just talking about it has given me the screaming abdabs and I'm having to resist the urge to check in every corner.

Strange things, phobias, make no sense. But then, I suppose if they made sense they wouldn't be phobias, would they??

See you next week, goodnight and may your God/s go with you.

Ze

No comments: