Tuesday, September 17, 2013

I'm Baaaaack...

Did you miss me??

First. Thank you to everybody who sent good wishes, healing thoughts, and get well messages. I'm working my way through them and I will reply to every single one eventually.

Tomorrow I'll tell you about the petting zoo. Today I'll tell the story of why I was in hospital...

There I was, last Tuesday, at work. I was working indoors at ceiling height so, naturally, I was on a ladder. A step-ladder fortunately so I was less than three metres off the ground. I had checked it, set it up, made sure it was on level ground and properly locked, I'd even put up a sign warning that I was on a ladder so to be careful. In other words I'd done everything possible to make sure I was safe.

Unfortunately you can't prepare for other people's stupidity.

It is possible to pick up a three-metre length of laminated worktop by yourself - if you're careful about lifting and positioning. It is even possible to carry it through a doorway and into a room by yourself. It is not, however, possible to wind your way through two - offset - doors and round a corner carrying said worktop by yourself.

But some numpty tried it.

He got through the doors and discovered that he was stuck. So he swung the worktop round and threw it forward and attempted to catch it further down.

He failed.

The worktop crashed, flat side first, into the side of my ladder. A three metre length of high quality worktop is pretty heavy without adding momentum to mass. The ladder tipped sideways and gravity won. The ladder fell. I fell. I hit the ground face first. I was knocked out. I woke up in A&E.

Miraculously no bones were broken - not even a cheekbone. I had concussion of course. I got a cut on my eyebrow which needed superglueing. It will probably scar. I've got some truly spectacular bruises. I look like I've gone a full twelve rounds with Mike Tyson. But other than that I'm fine.

They kept me in hospital for a few days as a precaution. The head injury & blood clot that I got after my motorcycle crash in 2006 left me with slight brain damage and consequently no short-term memory to speak of, and the doc was worried in case this new injury might cause further issues. Luckily it hasn't. No blood clot this time, though they want me to take aspirin for a month just to be sure. (At least it's not warfarin this time). And I'm allowed to read, watch tv, and use my laptop again. Which is great news for all around me because I was becoming dead grumpy!!

So I'm fine. Just bruised. They said if there were no problems, no headaches or blurred vision, I could go back to work on Tuesday. There were no further problems so I went back today. The site manager put me on some very light duties. He winced every time he looked at my face. Pretty much everybody did. It doesn't hurt much though. I got paid for the time off - which was unexpected but welcome.

Oh yeah - the numpty got fired. That was five hundred quid's worth of worktop he trashed.

Ze

1 comment:

Caro said...

Glad you're back and feeling better.