Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Panic Over

I thought I wasn't going to be able to update tonight. I was half-way through checking my sites when the internet went down.

I spoke many rude words and re-set the modem. Still nothing. Uh-oh.

Checked the TV - no service. Even bigger uh-oh. Checked land-line phone. Nothing. Damn it. Cable's down.

Many more rude words.

Checked with next door - yep, theirs was down, too. Whole street was down. So I rang the cable company on my mobile. Spoke to a friendly chap called Raj. With an accent that told me he was definitely not in the UK. He did his best to help. He tried phoning the engineering department - several times without success. Eventually he said he'd emailed the engineer section and he'd booked someone for tomorrow and he was very sorry but he didn't think they'd be out until Wednesday tea-time.

Wednesday!! Oh boy - panic stations!! I sent a text to E to warn her I couldn't update. And - as a true Brit always does in any panic situation - I went into the kitchen to put the kettle on for a cuppa.

I was still in the kitchen (which faces the street) twenty minutes later, looking out of the window, when a van from the cable company pulled up and a bloke carrying a tool-box and looking very much like an engineer got out.

At least three of my neighbours rushed out to speak to him. Quite sad really how dependent we are on our electronic entertainment. I decided I didn't want to look that desperate so I stayed in the kitchen and watched. He opened the junction box, looked at it, shook his head, grabbed a small connector from his tool-kit, swapped it for one inside the junction box, locked it up again and left.

Four minutes - tops.

But we were back!!

Panic over.

So you get your updates.

And tomorrow Barbara comes over to play.

Ze

No comments: