Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Restless

Today the doc at the hospital told me that my wrist is healing well, even though not as fast as I'd like, but I'll need at least another week off work. Apparently I don't heal as quickly as I used to.

That news annoyed me. Firstly because every minute I'm stuck here at home I'm losing money, and secondly because I'm bored. I'm keeping occupied reading, but there's only so many hours you can look at a screen before your eyes get tired. And it's still bloody raining. And I don't do the whole sitting-home-and-doing-nothing thing very well. I can do staying-at-home as long as I have things to do, but when I can't doing anything?? The results are not good.

I get very restless. And then I do stupid things. So far I'm resisting the urge to see if it's possible to abseil one-handed from my bedroom window using a co-ax cable. Or go white-water rafting on our flooded river. But it's a struggle.

According to my laptop I have played 734 games of patience (solitaire to speakers of American English - we don't call it that because this is solitaire to us). And I have "won" 108, which is a win percentage of 14.

Win is in inverted commas because you don't really "win", I prefer to think of it as "completed". It's not winning - it's sheer luck. And I swear that the 'puter deliberately creates games you can't complete. I can't think of any other reason for the fact that the first game of any new session is almost always a "loss", but one in which you come so very close to a "win".

And now you can see how bored I am - I'm building conspiracy theories around a computer-generated card game!!

Ze

No comments: