Wednesday, October 19, 2011

People Are Not Things

Minor grammar nit-pick ahead...

I've seen this frequently (almost to the exclusion of the correct form) in fan-fiction written in American English. I've seen it quite often in proper printed books written in American English. Now it's starting to gain a toe-hold in fan-fiction, websites, etc. (even the BBC news website) in British English.

"The woman that gave me the book." "The man that jumped from the train." "The man that I saw yesterday." And it throws me every single time. It's not correct. People are not things.

The woman who gave me the book. The man who jumped from the train. The man whom I saw yesterday. (Man is object not subject of the sentence in this.)

Who not that.

Inanimate objects are "that". The book that was on the table.

Animals are "that". The dog that barked. (Although since I'm a) English and b) horribly old-fashioned I tend to say "The dog which barked.")

People are not. People are "who". Thank you.

And on the subject of people. Tomorrow is Spirit Day. Blimey, is it really a year since I froze my wotsits off in a t-shirt?? It's 3c at the moment and forecast to reach the lofty heights of 11c tomorrow, so I don't think I'm going to be wearing that particular t-shirt again. But I might pick up a purple sweat-shirt on my way to work. (There's a market stall near the bus station that has a wide range in some startling colour combinations.)

Whatever colour you choose to wear tomorrow have a good day. See you next week. Goodnight and may your God/s go with you.

Ze

No comments: