Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The Great (Ferret) Escape

Nearly lost Arctic today.

I was in the garden, cutting back the cineraria - they're the silver leafed sort and three or four years old, so they've grown "leggy" and very scruffy and needed a trim. So, since I was out there I let the ferrets out for a run around. I wasn't worried because I'd ferret-proofed everywhere. They drain is covered, the drain-pipe is covered, and the fence is covered from end to end with chicken-wire.

Nice and safe.

Polar spent most of his time doing the weasel war dance, "dooking" like crazy, and running in one end of the crackle tunnel and out of the other. He was having a whale of a time.

For a while Arctic was playing with him, play-fighting, chasing, being chased.

I was concentrating on the pruning and not on the ferrets. This was a mistake.

Arctic is an adventurous and very smart ferret.

And she knows how to dig. Just like her polecat ancestors who dig burrows to live in.

I looked up just in time to see her wriggling out through the tunnel that she had dug under the fence.

I can't remember the last time I moved that fast.

I did the only thing I could think of - I shoved my hand into the tunnel she'd dug, twisted my arm around and grabbed her just before she fully wriggled out of the hole. I managed to hold her enough to drag her back through the tunnel.

She was a little peeved with me. She peed in my hand.

I put her back in her hutch and bleached my hand.

I'm not letting them loose in the garden again until I've bought more chicken-wire and extended the barrier down into the ground - at least half a metre!!

See you next week. Goodnight and may your God/s go with you


Ze

No comments: