Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Ferret Playpens

It was Whitsun Bank Holiday on Monday, and the County Show over the weekend (cows, pigs, sheep-shearing contests, etc.) normally either of those things means torrential rain. Not this year. It was warm, dry, and sunny. In fact Monday was so sunny I burnt the tops of my ears (missed that bit when I put sun-cream on my face & neck).

Not that I went to the show - I worked all weekend (need the money).

Then I promptly spent that money on ferret stuff.

I bought a nice hutch-cover (a decent one not a cheap bit of plastic) to keep them protected from the rain. And I bought them a playpen. (It's a rabbit pen really but it's great for ferrets too).

It's large - a metre & a half wide, two metres long - wire-covered wood frame, with a hinged roof. It's big enough for all their toys, their giant crackle tunnel, and the upturned cat-basket that they like to play hide-and-seek in. They can still tunnel out of it if they're determined enough, but it will take them longer than it does to tunnel under the fence. And if they manage to tunnel out of that and under the fence then I'm very seriously not paying attention!!

They love it. Lots of chasing each other, running through the tunnel, doing the weasel war dance. It wasn't cheap but it was worth the money just for my peace of mind.

My cousin says I spoil them. She's probably right.

PS. The BtVS story Gloriana - you probably need to be British to get most of the jokes and I don't think they work elsewhere. (Unless we're not the only country where lines like "They've had their Weetabix" is cue for a rout, and you recognise the advert.)

Ze

No comments: