Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A Step to the Right.

First - it's Lailat al Miraj, we wish our Muslim readers and good one.

Next - The EU held elections in its member countries this past week, to elect members of the European Parliament, the voter turnout in the UK was appalling - 40% - and if a large part of the country hadn't also been voting for local councils it would probably have been ever lower.

That makes me angry. People struggled, were imprisoned, suffered, were tortured - hell some died - so that we could have the right to vote. The least we could do to honour that struggle is walk a couple of hundred metres and put a cross on a bit of paper. (Or if you can't walk that distance, put your cross on a postal ballot and have somebody post it for you.)

It also makes me worried. Because the extremists will vote.

There's been a shift to the right in many countries.(Including mine.) And in some countries to the very extreme (bordering on neo-nazi) right. Racist. Misogynistic. Xenophobic. Homophobic. Transphobic. Bigots.

Very worrying.

In happier news - I'm still ferret-sitting and she gets more playful and more affectionate every day. I never realised that ferrets could be this much fun. I took some pictures of her and I was going to upload a few - but I broke the little gadget that transfers stuff from my camera data-card to my laptop, so I've had to order a new one. Until it arrives I can't post the photos. They said two weeks... but you know what these places are like, two weeks could be any length of time from two days to six months...

Ze

No comments: