Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Say it Loud, Out and Proud.

It's National Coming-Out Day here in the UK. Lord knows why we have to have a different day to the rest of the known universe, but that's us Brits for you. Contrary buggers.

Not that I've ever been anything but out. In fact if I ever even tried to hide who I am everyone I spoke to would probably fall over laughing. I'm pretty much a walking stereotype and anybody looking at me wouldn't have to speculate. They could say with absolute certainty, "Yep, she's one".

I'm lucky enough to live in a country where I can't be fired for being gay. Where it's illegal to deny me a service (hotel room, drink in a bar, meal in a restaurant, rent a house, etc.) simply on the grounds of being gay. Where not only do LGBT soldiers openly and proudly serve their country, but they are granted married quarters if they're partnered. And they are featured on the front cover of the British army's own magazine Soldier!!

A country where the non-British partners of LGBT folk are allowed to immigrate to join their partners. (Not without jumping through a large quantity of legal hoops designed to ferret out non-genuine applicants - but it's the same for straight folks).

Of course it's not perfect here. I can't get "married". I can have a "civil partnership" instead. It's identical to a civil marriage ceremony in everything but name - but it's still not quite equal.

And I can still get beaten up for being gay. It's legally a hate-crime and the police (also openly and proudly serving) will do their damnedest to bring the criminals to justice.

And kids still get bullied in school.

So - for those kids, and for equality for LGBT folk everywhere. Loud and Proud and Lesbian!!


Ze

No comments: