Saturday, June 14, 2008

Pooped

I survived my Chalice Camp overnight. It's tradition to have the junior counselors camp out the last day of Chalice Camp. Usually Mike is one of the responsible adults but his mother got married today and he needed to be at her house this morning pretty early. We could have blown it off but with the move to Seattle this would be Duncan's last camp out.

All went well last night. The kids canoed on the pond and swam. They played with fire, listened to music, made hobo pockets for dinner, roasted marshmallows and generally acted like a bunch of middle school age kids. Cal was, of course, fascinated by the fire. What kid isn't. Mike made it to the campground in time to watch the kids swim and eat dinner. He hung out until around 1 am and headed back home.

By ten Cal and I were in our tent and he was sleeping like the dead. Sleeping so soundly in fact that he never heard the thunderstorm that hit around midnight. He missed me cursing as I fiddled with a stuck zipper on the tent door in the wee hours of the morning. That 4 am pee is a killer when you have to hike with a flashlight to the bathrooms. He missed his brother coming in around 3 am shivering and cold because the door to the boys tent wasn't shut properly and cold rain got into it during the night.

We did manage to make it to my mother-in-law's wedding on time. Let's forget the fact that I managed to screw up my google maps directions on the way back and missed an important turn. We still made it by golly just not as early as I'd intended. Tonight we're all sitting around like zombies thankful that tomorrow will be a lazy, relaxing Sunday.

Tamara

No comments: