Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Ramble from Kali

Words being shared tonight. On to Kali's ramble.
Liars suck great big gobs of and cause stress; good eventual triumphs over evil.

Someone hit my car at the end of the year and caused a lot of damage. I'm fine, but my car was barely drivable. The right front fender, bumper & wheel were a mess. The steering was off and I feared my wheel would fall off leaving me stranded. The accident was totally the other guy's fault. On a 4 lane road with 2 lanes in each direction, he decided he wanted to be in my lane & never looked to see I was there. Luckily no one was coming in the opposite direction. At rest my car was facing the left lane for oncoming traffic.

At the time he fessed up to it. He gave me all his info. Then nothing. He never contacted his insurance company; I called mine the moment I drove my car home. I had dropped my collision on this car so figured his insurance would pay up and I took my car off to an auto body shop for an estimate. Close to 4 grand without being sure the suspension wasn't toast. Yikes, happy holidays. I call his Ins company and actually have to start the claim, since he was AWOL. They couldn't even reach him & asked me if I'd gotten his phone number. I never thought to ask for it assuming the insurance companies would handle it. His ins co gave me his agent's number. I called & no he hadn't started a claim with them & they hadn't reached him either.

His ins co looked at my car, assessed the damage, but didn't accept liability. So here I am w/o a car & no idea when they'll track this guy down to get his statement. I get a call on my home machine on Friday at 4:30pm on December 21st from his company telling me that a claims agent has been assigned, but that she'll be on vacation the following week for the Christmas holidays. Talk to you maybe next year. Since I didn't hear the message until I got home from work I couldn't call until the 26th since no one would even answer. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I reach someone else in their claims dept on the 26th and they agree to take my statement. They've still not heard from their insured. Eventually they reach him and he says I tried to pass him on the left and hit him. They won't assume liability. I hate liars and now call the auto body place and to say start the work. I get a cheap rental as my car won't be done until the 11th.

My insurance co says I'll have to go through small claims court since I don't have collision anymore. I look online for what I need to do to file. Not happy, but they say they will get a copy of this guy's statement so I'll know what I'm up against.

On the days after new years I get a nice message on my cell phone. His company is accepting liability. The guy must have been a sucky liar and when they reviewed the facts they decided to pay. They said they'd only cover my rental from date they decided to assume liability. Huh? He hit me 2 weeks earlier and now that they finally look into it their only going to pay from then on. I call my ins co and they say no, they should make you whole from date of the accident. I call back & say this to claims agent. They don't even have the correct date of accident. Apparently their insured really is a lousy liar.

They ask how my shoulder is from seatbelt as I'd mentioned a slight pain. I saw my body worker & she fixed my up. His ins asks how much did it cost. I say and they say will pay that & give you an extra $500 for pain & suffering and they'll pay my rental fees. The stress of it all was pretty lousy, like where am I going find $4 grand.

I'm not sure who smiled on me this year but so far the year is looking up. I have my car & some of the money they promised, just waiting for the rental reimbursement. Plus I didn't have to lay out money for my deductible. My mom waited a year to get hers back from her insurance company when she was hit. So all in all other than stress & inconvenience I'm up some cash & part of my car looks really shiny & new.

Kali


I agree with you, Kali! I'm also very glad to see things looking up. Reminder...if you feel like sharing, let us know. Have a great night and enjoy the updates.

Elisa

No comments: