Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Ferret on the Mend

First - Happy Hanukkah to all our Jewish readers.

Took a couple of days off work - little ferretty ferret was very, very poorly Sunday night. She's been struggling with oestrus for a few weeks and on Sunday evening she suddenly, rapidly, deteriorated. Scared the living daylights out of me. My vet doesn't do out-of-hours visits. You can ring for advice or ring for an urgent appointment for the first working day, but that's it.

A good friend pointed me in the direction of a vet who would do out-of-hours (thank you so much, Beth.) And I got an emergency consultation right away. One hormone jab (the previous two didn't work), one vitamin jab, one iron jab (poor little mite - that one hurts), and a considerable sum of money later and the immediate crisis was over. The vet wanted me to come back on Monday morning. So I did.

Another iron jab, and some high-protein liquid feed that I have to give her - little-and-often - for the next couple of days. This visit was free - included in Sunday's fees.

It looks like the hormone jabs have finally worked and oestrus is ending. Thank God for that. Because if they stay in oestrus they die... and I'm kind of fond of the little stinker and don't want to lose her.

Off again today so I could keep feeding her the special food every hour. She's still not quite her usual self, but she's so much better today that it's hard to believe she was that sick on Sunday. She even ate a little proper food this morning in addition to the high-protein liquid. And yes - I will be switching vet. This bloke is so much more knowledgeable about ferrets than my old vet (who's great with dogs and cats but not so good with ferrets).

Ze

No comments: