Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ramble from Phair

More shared thoughts from Phair.
"Why do the dead keep sending you messages?"

Why indeed?

My niece e-mailed me the question last week. She was freaked out by something that happened to me. It was a something weird which occurred recently in a serious of weird somethings over the course of more than her lifetime. It is a good enough question to pose to a larger audience. Consider yourselves the larger audience. By the way, if any of you have a good answer then please let me know.

As I wrote before, my dog, Scout, died in the beginning of July ending a beautiful 11 year run as my best friend. Family, friends, and team mates at work were all very supportive of me during my loss. As were so many of you. Misery might love company but the hope generated by collective encouragement seems endless.

One of my co-workers was particularly touched by the events in my life. She had lost one of the two dogs she made her home with just weeks before my boy died. Last Wednesday, I arrived at work to find she had been and gone already. It seems her remaining dog was passing but his pain was excruciating and he needed her more than any job could need doing.

My team mates were quite somber as you would expect but they handed me a gift the woman had left for me and my puppy. It was three bandanas for my little Dakota. The woman used remnants she had in her sewing room and did not buy anything special. It was intended as a gesture of 'the thought that counts' and not something of particular value. She did not know then she was creating a priceless gift. The material's pattern was dog bowls with names on the bowls. Two of the dozen or so bowls, sitting side by side, were labeled Scout and Dakota.

My staff all thought it was pretty amazing which, in fact, it is; two random images next to each other representing my recent past and current dogs. But, it was a third bowl a couple of rows below the other two which drew my attention. It was marked, Tiny. Something the woman did not, could not know was Tiny was my very first dog. Ever. I got her for my sixth birthday. She died back in 1978. I never talk about her. Only a few of us in the family even remember her.

I phoned the woman at the moment she was trying to find the office number. She was alone and waiting for family. Her dog was so very sick and she didn't want to do what she knew she must. She talked. I listened. We cried. Our team mates cried too. I thanked her for my gift but I told her I thought the gift might have been intended for her too. It might be a message beyond randomness or coincidence; gentle tail wage from the infinite. I told her about the first dog and third name on the bandanas. She was quiet for a moment. "I have to put my dog down, don't I?" She finally asked but needed no answer from me.

"Why do the dead keep sending you messages?"

I don't really know. But I want to believe it is because love endures forever.

Phair


I'm not sure why either and, if you do have the answers, let us know! Good luck, all and Phair, once again thanks for sharing.

Enjoy the updates!

Elisa

No comments: