Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Ramble Time

And my plea was answered - we have a ramble.

    A Ramble...by scribingbard52

    As I sit here in my study, in my 350 year old cottage, looking across a timeless valley view, and just having celebrated 24 years with my lovely wee girl Suzy, I am musing over how time passes. Not in the form of a physics problem - or even from an astrological or horological point of view - but in terms of what we remember of those years as they pass... and why.

    My Veedub camper needs to be MOT’d next week, this is a legal responsibility here in UK and engraved upon my mind from the sheer terror of forgetting and the consequences thereof.

    My blood pressure annual check is due at the local surgery... I try hard to ignore this for as long as poss cos I am TOTALLY phobic about needles and blood tests.. But, sigh, eventually the Doc tracks me down... curses... darnit... busted!!! I must drag myself to the surgery.

    My memory of the day that my wee Suz came into my life is a fresh as the day it happened... I remember the weather, what we ate, and how beautiful she looked then - and still does today.

    Memories of my teaching days, and the children I still see in my minds eye. For example Ryan. We were deep into the genetics of the Drosophila fruit FLY that has no wings... and Ryan suggested that it should be called a WALK!!! I still smile at the wit of it and remember his 15 year old face clearly. He will now be in his late 40’s and I wonder how his life has been.

    Painful times also - we all have those. So why do we remember them? Surely so that we are not doomed to repeat the same mistakes again.

    Last evening we watched a programme about Auschwitz. It followed some of the survivors in their lives since then. Some chose to remain, understandably, in that time and to relive the dreadful events every day. One man described how he took even the smallest kindnesses and saved them as bright sparks in dark days and continues to do so, even now. Many spoke of nightmares and others of wonderfully serendipitous moments that led them to lifelong friends.

    One man who had tried to distance himself from the camps, decided to begin to tell his story because he said that ‘evil will flourish if good men do nothing’. A paraphrase of a famous quote but powerful none the less.

    The world must NEVER forget the horrors of the Concentration Camps or the ‘Final solution’ of the Nazis. Never can those times be consigned to archives.

    So our memories are sometimes precious, sometimes terrible, often salutary and always a learning experience.

    We have them for a reason.

Thanks scribingbard52 - you're a star

Ze

No comments: