Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Jill Jabs

Shatterstorm are taking sign-ups for their latest FemSlash Advent Calendar

Had to take Snow to the vet today for her "jill jab" - she's in oestrus. Ferrets can't come out of oestrus on their own. They either need to mate, or have the oestrus artificially ended. Without this, since they bleed a little whilst in oestrus, eventually they die from the anaemia that results.

So they have to have their jill jab. (A female ferret is called a jill). This is a hormone injection that usually ends the oestrus within a few days. I say "usually" because it can stop working. It has an effectiveness rate of about 85%.

If the jab doesn't work I'm going to see if I can get a vasectomised hob (males are called hobs) to mate with her and end it that way. I'd rather not because it could be a little stressful for her, hobs can be a bit brutal. And he would have to be vasectomised because a) I don't want kits and b)she's a little old for a first pregnancy. Unfortunately she's a little old to be spayed, too. Otherwise I would have done that as it's the best choice for her.

So she had her jab. She didn't like it. But I think the bill hurt me more than the jab hurt her. Blimey, that stuff's expensive. She sulked all the way home. I could tell she was sulking because she stopped chattering to me and she hid her head in her blanket.

She forgave me when I put her back in her house - with a handful of treats. Slave to her stomach, she is!!

Ze

No comments: