Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Gods Feared the Deluge

The floods were worse today. York is in trouble. The River Ouse broke its banks. The A1 (the Great North Road - one of the country's busiest trunk roads) is partially closed. There's a block of flats in Newcastle in danger of collapsing because its foundations were washed clear. The town of Tadcaster is in two sections now as the bridge linking both sides of the town is underwater.

And here?? I couldn't work today. Sat in the van and just looked at it. Because the site is flooded. Well - are we surprised?? You build a whole new town on a flood plain. Between two rivers. You remove several stands of trees to build link roads. You even give it "brook" as part of its name. And then you wonder why the fields surrounding it are flooded!!

It seems a bit selfish of me to grumble that I'm losing wages (no work = no pay) because of this, when there are dozens of families up country who are losing homes, cars, furniture. But I'm trying to save to afford the fare to the USA to meet up with friends. And I can't if I have to keep breaking into my savings to pay my living expenses.

Damn it. It is selfish - or at least, self-centred - I have a home. That home is safe from flooding. I have savings, (not a lot, but at least I do have some). I can afford my day-to-day expenses because of them, even without work. But I still can't help feeling grumpy about it. Little E will have left home by the time I get to see her again a this rate.

**grumbles some more** Bah, humbug.

That's a very British thing, you know. We grumble a lot - never very loudly, or particularly aggressively, but a lot. Usually about trivial things. Then we sigh and say, "Ah well, mustn't grumble". And often add, "Worse things happen at sea".

Funny lot, us Brits.

Oh - the header?? It's a line from The Epic of Gilgamesh.

See you next week - if I haven't grown flippers and swum away. Goodnight and may your God/s go with you.

Ze

No comments: